Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bruja de Verano / Summer Witch

(Image Attribution: Sylvia Ji, artist, http://www.sylviaji.com/)


wandering the desolate desert
welcoming the seething sol above
it licks, lovingly
an welcome fiery ghost
like a pyro possessive plough
a coyote's yip catches something in the jugular
while lost in thought I sing songs in gutteral syncopation
long forgotten old chants
though I remember them
only succulents can hear
this plant is good for this
that plant is poisonous but helps for that
gathering seeds
and tubular brown roots
giving thanks with every touch, every smell
I quiver to remember each
licking rocks
savoring the wet dirt left by early morning mist
garbling leaves and stems for salivary sweetness
I gather popotillo twigs and branches in bundles
this will make a soothing tea for upset stomach
that will prevent infection in an open seeping wound
Mmmmmmmm I can just taste salty tangy blood
filling Tata's mason jars with my desert scryings
intake of deep breaths in each
to remember their color, their smell, their value
the gold and richness others do not comprehend
you taught me well, Tata
I will wander through the desolate Sonoran
with your knowledge
till the end of my days
for others to learn
if they want
they will taste my seed pods
it was once my brown skin


© 2011 Zollies-Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment