Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Soldadera



I followed my father
I followed my brother
I followed my lover
Into the revolution
I fought
I cooked for them
I nursed them
I was mistreated
I was raped
Yet I followed
And cared for those I loved
My father died
My brother died
My lover died
In the revolution
I fought
I cooked for others
I nursed others
I was mistreated
I was raped
Later, I dressed as a man
I fought as a man
I blew up bridges
I led a group of vicious men into battle
I was not mistreated
I was not raped
Hurt and maimed I returned home
I was ostracized
I was spat upon
I was called a whore, a "puta"
I followed a revolution
I died alone


© 2011 Zollies-Spot

3 comments:

  1. Powerful stuff. I'm in the middle of a book about Joan of Arc. She wore men's cothes, many think, to protect herself from rape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan of Arc, one of my patron saints. :)

    ReplyDelete